The holidays are right around the corner, which means more time to spend with family enjoying Delia’s tamales! Check out our recent blog to learn why you should order your tamales before it’s too late! You can also pick them up at our locations. We would like to offer three tips to help you store your tamales so they are ready to warm up for the season!
Store in Freezer Bags
The most crucial step to take before storing tamales in freezer bags is to allow them to cool first. This helps prevent bacteria or mold growth if you put hot or warm tamales directly in the freezer.
Consider following these guidelines:
- Store as many tamales in the same bag as you can.
- Put them in the fridge if you plan to eat them in the next 4-7 days.
- Place meat tamales, like chicken or pork, in the freezer for up to 1-2 months.
- Store non-meat tamales, like bean or cream cheese, in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Use an Airtight Container
Similar to freezer bags, airtight containers are perfect for storing tamales in the refrigerator or freezer. We recommend:
- Writing the storage date on the container before putting it in the freezer.
- Purchasing containers that are rectangular so that the tamales may fit easier.
- Not stacking too many tamales on top of each other so they may retain their shape.
Helpful Traveling Tips
If you’re planning to travel and surprise your family with tamales for the holidays, we recommend the following methods:
- Freeze tamales in advance.
- Place tamales in freezer bags, or containers, place in coolers, and add ice on top.
- Instead of ice, consider using ice packs to keep tamales cool during your ride.