We get it! After a big family gathering or holiday, you may have gotten more than you can chew and it might look like you’re eating Texas tamales for the next couple of days. Not to worry, this delicious 65-minute leftover tamale recipe from Spruce Eats is a mouth-watering new alternative to eating your Delia’s tamales leftovers.
Your Texas Tamales Tools
- Casserole Pan
- Tin Foil
- Measuring cups
- 16 Delia’s Texas tamales
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 poblano peppers, roasted or if you crave spice jalapeños
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 ounces of cream cheese
- Salt for taste
- Freshly ground black pepper for taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup of salsa, red or green
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 2 cups of grated cheese, cheddar, Monterey Jack, or an evenly divided mix
Steps to Make a Texas Tamales Casserole
- Gather all the necessary ingredients.
- Remove all Delia’s tamales from their husks and use a knife to cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Pour olive oil into a heavy skillet. Coarsely chop the onion. Remove the charred skin and seeds from the roasted poblanos and dice them.
- Sauté the onions in olive oil over medium-to-low heat until onions are soft and caramelized. Add the garlic and poblano peppers and cook for a while longer. Remove from heat, and stir in the cream cheese as well as salt and pepper for taste.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, salsa, and chicken broth.
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish with olive oil or even butter. Place 1/3 of the chopped Delia’s tamales over the bottom. Cover with 1/2 of the onion-pepper mixture. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the grated cheese over the onions.
- Layer another third of the Texas tamales over the cheese, and top with the remaining onions and peppers.
- Top with 3/4 cup of three grated cheese.
- Finally, place the remaining chopped tamales on top of the casserole. Pour the sour cream mixture over the entire casserole. Top with the last 1/2 cup of cheese.
Loosely cover the casserole with tin foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and hot, and cheese is melted.
Delia’s Tamales can be found at any of our Rio Grande Valley and San Antonio locations. We recommend any of our Texas tamales, and for dessert, our sweet cream cheese tamales!
Morning After Texas Leftover Tamales
Get inventive in the kitchen with this enjoyable and family-friendly dish of Breakfast egg con tamale tacos! You will need:
- Delia’s Tamales
- Parmesan cheese
Steps to Make It:
- Remove husk and cut up a Texas tamales into bite-sized pieces
- Grease up skillet
- Season tamales with salt and pepper and cook in the skillet
- Cook egg in skillet away or with tamales
- Season egg
- Heat up the tortilla
- Once the egg and tamale are cooked thoroughly, place egg and tamales in the tortilla
- Top with a handful of parmesan cheese.
Order Tamales Online for the Upcoming Holidays
Did you know tamales can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months? With Thanksgiving a few months away you can order now and prep before the holiday rush.
Order Tamales Online Today
Our tamales are perfect for any occasion, and with the holidays coming up, it’s the perfect time to prepare and skip those Thanksgiving lines. Order tamales online today and be sure to follow us on Facebook or Instagram for our holiday updates.